Tuesday, September 2, 2014

If I Stay (2014) [Movie Review]



Being an adult male, I don't believe that I am in the target audience for this film. That being said, I have been awaiting this film for quite some time now.

If I Stay follows a young girl, Mia (Chloƫ Grace Moretz) as she falls in love with a boy, Adam (Jamie Blackley), and as she has an out-of-body experience while she is put into a coma.

The writing in this film was only average. The concept was interesting and some of the dialogue was well above average, however the large majority the writing was the cliched dialogue that all sappy love stories feature. However, my showing of film, which was dominated by teenage girls, seemed to love every minute of that dialogue.

One of the biggest things I noticed lasted a few scenes towards the beginning of the film. If I recall correctly, it was even in the opening scene. Either the camera was out of focus, or smudged. I don't really know which, and I also don't know which would lead to me being more dissapointed. It should be noticeable and a simple fix for the camera crew, however it seems as if they didn't care. One could argue that it was simply the theater I sat in that had a poor set-up, however the majority of the rest of the film didn't have that issue. It's a minor thing that most movie-goers probably won't even notice, but I noticed.

Humorously enough, my favorite part of this film was it's ending. The same ending that made half of my theater angry. It was slightly abrupt and left the viewer with a cliffhanger as to how things will play out. It seems that most viewers wanted everything to spelled out, and not everything was spelled out.

All in all, the movie is only okay. There is nothing amazing about it, but it's not a complete waste of time.

Rating: 73/100

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment