Friday, August 8, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) [Movie Review]


I know it seems that every Marvel film I review begins with me exclaiming my love for Marvel. But that doesn't stop me from doing it again. I can't help it - I love the company. I always have and always will.
That being said - oh my God. This movie. Oh my God. I am trying my best to not sound like a 14 year old girl after her first viewing of Twilight, but I don't really know how possible that will be. This is quite literally my equivalent for that. Guardians of the Galaxy is everything I could have asked for and more!

Not once during my viewing of this film did my smile subside. I smiled so much, I put enough strain on my face muscles to actually cause slight pain. (I tried to think of smart way to say that, but drew a blank. Face muscles is the term I'm going with). This may sound like a negative thing, but I assure you that it is not. I was so happy it hurt. That is how good this movie is. Oh my God, this movie. This movie.

There are so many things to talk about for this film. However I doubt that I will hit everything that I intended to hit upon. This is mostly due to the sheer amount of things jumbling around in my head, I can't type as fast as my brain is processing the words.

So, without further ado, Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel's experiment to expand their current cinematic universe. I should say that this experiment was a success, seeing as how Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has already been confirmed. By saying that this film "expanded" upon the MCU, I don't just mean it added a new property. This film added a whole new layer of possibilities to the series. The MCU is no longer just about Earth - we have been taken to the stars and shown Marvel's cosmic side. Earth was shown for approximately 5 minutes of the film, and it only existed to set up Peter Quill's origins. Though consistently mentioned by Quill, Earth never made another appearance. But you won't care - hell, you probably won't even notice!

As with every good cast, everyone involved in this film own their role. Chris Pratt is Star Lord. Zoe Saldana is Gamora. Dave Bautista is Drax. Vin Diesel is Groot. And I didn't save him for last simply because that's how he was billed, the best is always saved for last. Bradley Cooper is Rocket. Rocket is possibly the best part of this film. His constant outbursts towards people calling him names, his constant antics and his general wit bring this film together.

James Gunn, the director of Guardians of the Galaxy does not have the best track record. That was my only concern going in to this movie. His only past work that was truly enjoyable was PG Porn, but that was a TV series not a movie. It is a delightful surprise that this film was as good as it was. I trust he can bring the sequel to be just as good.

Did I mention this film was amazing? Because it is. I don't care who you are, what you are, or what you are doing this weekend - do everything in your power to see Guardians of the Galaxy - you won't be dissapointed.

Rating: 10/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment