Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cry-Baby (1990) [Movie Review]


Cry-Baby is the clichéd love story of a bad boy and a good girl falling in love (or, I guess infatuation is a better term, but I think that's just nitpicking). I can't count how many times this plot has been done. Hell I can't even count the number of films being filmed right now that are using this exact plot. My point being the plot is already a boring and overused one.

But the film is redeemed by it's stars, Johnny Depp and Amy Locane. While many of the other characters are over-the-top and ultimately ruin the some of the enjoyment of he film, Depp and Locane are perfect. Whether they were talking, just staring at each other, or singing and dancing together, they worked perfect together. It would have been more impressive had the two stars sung their own songs, as it was quite obvious that there was other people singing for them, but it did work fine the way it was.

Overall, Cry-Baby is goofy and over-the-top at times, but the great soundtrack and chemistry between the main stars makes this a fun film to watch.

Rating: 6/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment