Friday, May 23, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) [Movie Review]


The X-Men series that has been riddled with plot holes for the past decade. Days of Future Past is an attempt to fix those plot holes, by creating an entirely new timeline. Wolverine is sent back in time to bring Charles Xavier and Eric Lehnsherr together to stop an attack that will eventually lead to the destruction of both mutants, and anyone who helps the mutants.

I've always loved X-Men because of it's teachings of discrimination. The parallels between the historical African-American civil rights movement and the holocaust have always been interesting to me. This film opens to an eerily similar tone to the first X-Men (where there is a large group of Jewish people walking through a fenced-in area), only instead of being Jewish, they are all mutants. Many of them branded with an "M" somewhere on their face. I found this to be an extraordinary way to begin the film.

From there, the film wastes no time getting to what everyone wants in an X-Men movies, amazing action scenes. Though certain characters still don't quite reach the power levels they attained in their comic book counterpart, the action scenes are never less than entertaining.

If I'm to be completely honest, I don't think this film ever had a lull. We have two generations of characters in the same film, and all of the actors portraying them did an uncanny job making them all seem comic-book-like and believable. First Class had become one of my favorite X-Men films simply because James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are amazing actors and made their characters even more interesting than the original actors, not that the originals were bad in any way.

Maybe it's my love for history too that makes me love First Class so much too. I know that my love for history helped me enjoy this one as much as I did. I only wish that they would have incorporated more historical events, but I can not find many complaints with what we were given. There are still plot holes, but I will look passed them, the future of the series should be plot hole-free (I hope).

If you have ever liked an X-Men movie, comic book, or cartoon episode, what this movie.

Rating: 9/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment