Friday, March 21, 2014

Divergent (2014) [Movie Review]


Full disclosure here, I loved the Divergent books. I am an adult man, but I found the themes present in the books to be amazing. So I have been anxiously awaiting this movie for a few months.

Now, I can obviously make the claim that most other readers make, "The movie sucks because the book was better." I could make that claim. But, that would not be fair to this movie. While many of the things that I really liked about the books had been cut from the movie, the movie still did everything it needed to in order to tell the story, and make an entertaining movie. That's all I'm going to touch on about the book vs. movie debate.

As I stated above, the story of Divergent is a great story. Who doesn't love dystopian futures? Well... you know what I mean. Probably my favorite thing about this series is how it takes all of the things that you just know are going to happen, but put them in spots that you would almost never expect. After you watch this movie (if you watch this movie), you will understand exactly what I am referring to.

It's no surprise that Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet, Miles Teller and a few of the other prominent names handled their parts so nicely. But, unfortunately a few of the other side characters were hardly believable in their roles, but having such small amount of screen time in comparison to our main character, it is easy to look past. One actor that truly stood out in this movie, however, was Theo James. He not only owned his role as Four in the acting sense, but he also did every one of his stunts. He was a perfect cast for the character.

So, all-in-all, I really liked Divergent. It is eerily similar to The Hunger Games, so if you enjoyed those movies, you will probably enjoy this movie.

Rating: 8/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment