Monday, March 31, 2014

Nymphomaniac: Vol. II (2013) [Movie Review]


In the first volume of Nymphomaniac, we see Joe's young adventures. The audience is taken through a journey of who Joe is, and how she came to be a nymphomaniac. In this volume of Nymphomaniac, we experience her adult life, and how she came to be in the situation of her telling her story.

Chances are high that if you're reading this review, you've also read my previous review, which stated my adoration for Vol. I of this story. I am sorry to say that the same charm does not follow through to Vol. II. While the first story shows Joe's innocence, and then her lack thereof; this installment is more-or-less Joe looking for ways to hurt herself more. The large majority of the charm from the first installment is lost in this version.

It's weird, really. I gave acclaim to our no-name actress from the first volume, because she was simply perfect. But in Vol. II, we have a accomplish actress. However she did not seem to get into the character. It's true she was playing a depressed character, but that doesn't mean her lines need to be spoken with such a robotic nature.

The story has a wonderful progression throughout the film. More parallels are drawn between Joe's behavior and other things that Seligman has knowledge of, with the same charm as the first. But the way Lars von Trier decided to end this film I can simply not forgive. I won't speak anything of it, but it was without a doubt the wrong way to end the movie. And in all honesty, had he wrote a different ending, this movie might held up better.

Rating: 7/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment