Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Son of God (2014) [Movie Review]


Religion is a touchy subject to make movies out of. And at present time, I would argue that Christianity is the touchiest. Atheists openly hate anything involving the Christian God, and people from other religions don't typically care too much to watch a movie about a religion they are not a part of. This is, obviously, a generalization and there will be outliers.

So I am positive this film will receive flak for the simple fact that it is about Jesus (the Son of God, for anyone confused).

Anyway, movie talk. As most of you know, I try to watch every movie with an open mind. I was raised in a family where God was mentioned fairly frequently, but I never learned much about the religion. So, I can't verify whether anything was accurate (then again, who really can?), but I can attest to the quality of the film.

Watching the movie, it doesn't ever feel like it has a big budget. It seemed more like a made-for-TV movie or a direct-to-DVD movie. That really was the biggest complaint I had while the movie was going. To find out that this movie was adapted from a TV miniseries is no surprise to me, but almost disappointing. Disappointing in the fact it is just a cheap trick to attempt to get more money from the Christian crowd.

The acting was also horrendous. You get a pretty weird mix of some people over-acting and some under-acting and it just melds together so poorly that it almost hurts. Actually with the films length, it does hurt. They could have cut out almost an hour and still hit every point they needed to make. It was almost a chore to sit in the theater for 2 and half hours watching someone go through the motions of Jesus.

But there were a few entertaining parts. For people who are interested in learning about Jesus' story, this might a good start. And for people who are already Christian and know about their lord and savior, you probably already know everything this movie would have to offer.

Rating: 5/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment