Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) [Movie Review]


I don't know how, but I apparently put the 1979 version of Nosferatu into my Netflix queue instead of the 1922 version. I almost decided not to watch it after I realized the mistake, but I figured since I have it, I might as well watch it.

I am very happy I decided to watch this movie. From the opening shots, I knew I was in for a treat. The film opens with it's credits, much is the style of it's time, but it is such a beauty to watch them. Having close-ups of skeletons and decaying flesh truly set the stage for what was about to commence. Shortly after our credits roll, we find ourselves in the presence of two of our main characters. The initial interaction these two have, and a few other interactions that follow, do not bode well for their acting chops. They speak their lines with such dryness, I was back to wondering whether or not I really wanted to continue watching.

And again, I was very thankful that I continued. After a short while, we discover our main character, Jonathan, is an estate salesman, and a Count living in Transylvania wishes to purchase land in his territory. It is a long and difficult journey for him, but a stunning one for the viewer. It is fairly rare for a horror movie to focus so heavily on the beauty of nature, but Nosferatu the Vampyre does such a wonderful job at it, I can't give it enough credit in that regard.

When Jonathan arrives at Count Dracula's castle, he must stay for a days. His days in the presence of Dracula were extremely eery.

I'm realizing now that I am spoiling much of the movie. I'm going to try and summarize the rest with little spoilers.

Towards the end of the film, it becomes less of a vampire movie, and more of a horror based on a plague. This is not a bad thing, though. The movie's trailer mentions that it is "nothing like any other Dracula movie", and that statement is extremely accurate. It was a clever way to make their movie, and I loved it.

Rating: 8/10

IMDb Page
Wiki Page

No comments:

Post a Comment